September in the Playroom
This summer the playroom has seen many children come to play. Most afternoons the playroom is at capacity with infants, toddlers and preschoolers abound. With such large numbers, children are learning to compromise and negotiate play. Each child may have their favorite toy, activity and even staff member, but with the need to share these items, the children are developing patience and understanding. It may be hard at times, but with the gentle care and reminders from staff and even other children, we are all learning to play safely and happily together.
On Mondays at 11:30 a music therapist joins us and she leads parents and children in a ½ hour of singing and stories. Children learn songs, do a little dancing and make a lot of wonderful noise. September dates are the 10th, 17th and 24th.
Wiggle, Giggle and Munch
Wednesday mornings from 10 – 12 we have Wiggle, Giggle & Munch for children who are into movement. The morning includes physical activities, a craft, circle time and a nutritious snack. September dates are the 19th and 26th. All our programs are run on a drop-in basis. You do not have to pre-register. Just come on the days that work for you and your family. For more information,
Please call us at 204-788-8055.
Back to school is just around the corner!
Some Tips for Parents at Back-To-School Time (adapted from “Back to School: Transitioning Your Family From Summer to School by Bethany Hardy from pbs.org):
- Anticipate and address your child’s anxiety. Talk to them about new experiences and try role-playing things that might be firsts for your child or make them nervous.
- Stay positive about summer ending by planning a fun family end-of-summer activity – visit the Forks or Assiniboine Park, cook a special meal together or plan a movie marathon!
- Ease back into scheduled days, by slowly transitioning back into school day schedules like earlier bedtimes.
- Stay connected to nature. Make a habit of getting outside with your kids after the school day ends, for as long as the warm weather lasts. There are some great playgrounds in the neighborhood!
- Get prepared with healthy snacks for when things get hectic (join Healthy Together programming to learn some new recipes).
- If you need some support, chat with Wolseley Family Place staff for more ideas!A special thanksOn August 10th, Food Fare made a “splash” by contributing to one of our summer outings. They generously donated juice boxes and granola bars for our wading pool/splash pad adventure. A big Thank you to Food Fare for being part of our community.Healthy Together
Happy Healthy Beginnings…For children age 3-6 and their Caregivers and Families.
Join us as we discover ways of being healthy together! Each session includes fun games, activities, and an opportunity to cook and enjoy wholesome food together.
Dates: September 10 and 24
Location: Wolseley Family Place
To Register: Sign-up sheet available at 1:00 in the drop in
A warm welcome
We are pleased to welcome our new Health Education Coordinator, Anisa Baker, to the Wolseley Family Place team. Here’s a few words from our new team member: “Hello! I’m Anisa Baker, the new Health Education Coordinator. If you’ve got questions, or a topic you’d like us to discuss in the drop in, come have a chat or drop me a note in the drop box on my office door (next to the laundry). I’m looking forward to meeting you soon!”