Community Support Worker
Wolseley Family Place is a multi-service family resource centre providing support, enhancing education, and fostering community. We work together to strengthen children and families on the challenging journey of living and growing. We are looking for a Community Support Worker to join our team, helping to create a welcoming, safe, and supportive environment for community members at our centre.
Term: 6 month term starting December 2, 2019, with possibility of extension
Hours: 20 hours/ week: Monday – Friday 12pm-4pm
Hourly Wage Rate: $15.00/ hour plus benefits
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Welcome individuals and families to the centre, explain WFP programs and services, and direct community members to WFP programs or referrals to other agencies, as appropriate
- Provide active listening and empathy and assist participants
- Receive and process donations
- Oversee clothing depot, including communicating expectations of usage, supervising volunteers, and keeping the area organized
- Oversee drop-in area, in cooperation with co-workers, including computers, coffee, phone, fax, posting of community information, and drop-in activities
- Assist with special projects, such as planning parent-child activities and events
- Assist with volunteer management
- Assist with administrative tasks such as compiling participation data, creating and distributing promotional materials, updating resources
- Maintain safe and welcoming environment by relationship building and identifying potential risks or conflicts, intervening and de-escalating, or seeking help as needed
- Be a part of a dynamic and collaborative staff team
Education and Experience:
- Some education in office administration, social work, social services, community development, recreation or other related fields an asset, but not required.
- Experience working or volunteering in a non-profit organization an asset
- Experience doing community support work very beneficial
- Familiarity with West Broadway community and understanding local social context very beneficial
- Administrative skills and computer literacy, including writing, Microsoft Office, internet, data entry, social media
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-cultural context with diverse populations required
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in engaging with community in an approachable, nonjudgmental way
- Ability to speak English required, additional languages an asset
- Strong organizational and time management skills, punctuality a requirement
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances
Wolseley Family Place strives to employ a staff team that is inclusive and reflective of the population that we serve. We welcome applications from Indigenous and newcomer applicants.
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter by email to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: November 27, 2019